Here at Breakaway Graphics, LLC, we do a lot of reading to stay on top of design trends and feed our unending hunger to learn even more about effective design techniques. I have compiled a list of a few of my favorite books, magazines and websites for all you design junkies out there.
1. Logo Design Love by David Airey (http://www.logodesignlovebook.com/). David is a leader in brand development and graciously wrote this book for the benefit of logo designers everywhere.
2. 100 Habits of Successful Freelance Designers by Steve Gordon Jr w/ Laurel Saville (purchase on Amazon). With lots of tips and tricks, this book is a must-have reference for freelancers.
3. Graphic Artist Guild Handbook by GAG (http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/handbook/). A handy guide to ethics, pricing and professionalism in Graphic Design.
4. COLOR: Messages and Meanings by Leatrice Eiseman (purchase on Amazon). A wonderful follow-up book to Pantone Guide to Communicating with Color, Leatrice explains the emotional effects of color in design.
5. Layout Essentials by Beth Tondreau (purchase on Amazon). An easy to follow guide on grids and page layouts.
1. GD USA (http://www.gdusa.com/). With intriguing articles and information onÂ design trends and leaders, I look forward to reading this publication cover-to-cover when I get it in the mail.
2. CMYK (http://www.cmykmag.com/). Often a wonderful resource to paper, printers, techniques and people.
3. Print (http://www.printmag.com/). With lots of features on up-and-comers and the undisputed greats, Print is a great way to stay on top of all things print.
4. HOW (http://www.howdesign.com). In their words: “help designers….become more creative, successful, productive, and connected”.
Websites & Blogs:
1. Logo Design Love: http://www.logodesignlove.com/
2. David Airey: http://www.davidairey.com/
3. Identity Designed: http://identitydesigned.com/
4. Brand New: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/
5. The AIGA: http://www.aiga.org/
6. The Society of Publication Designers: http://www.spd.org
7. NO!SPEC: http://www.no-spec.com/working-pro-bono/
8. Underworld Magazines: http://www.underworldmagazines.com/
9. AntiSpec: http://antispec.com/ I’m a design hero. Are you?